Saturday, November 28, 2009
Finally one decent macro shot. This small little shrimp has been living in my tank for more than a month. Out of 7, I only managed to see 1. Not sure where is the remaining 6; probably hiding in the densely planted area. After 1 month observation, I noticed that this shrimp only move around in small area and has a permanent hiding spot.
Comparison between day 10 & 1 month+
Peacock moss continue to grow dense and healthy together with Staurogyne sp. filling up the soil area. Lighting period still remain at 7 hours a day / 1bps cos with 2ml daily dosing of Seachem Excel daily. 50% water change every 5 days. 2 drops of ADA Green Bacter after each water change.
Monday, November 9, 2009
Multi Bottom is basically nutrient/fertilizer in stick form which is use as supplement for healthy aquatic plant growth.
I have just inserted few sticks into the substrate on 5-Nov and will provide update after 1 week observation.
(1) Each stick to be inserted deep into substrate.
(2) 1 stick for every 15cm x 15cm.
(3) Nutritional effect will last around 2 to 4 months.
(4) Best if use together with Green Bacter or Bacter Ball to stimulate nutrient absorption.
(5) DO NOT insert too close to plants (at least 2-3cm away from plants and 1cm from substrate surface).
Item above is a special tool to insert Iron Bottom or Multi Bottom (both products from ADA) into the substrate. With this tool, fertilizer can be inserted deep into substrate to provide sufficient supplement for plants that absorb nutrient via root ie, Crytp
Now the question is . . . do you really need this?
I have tried it and frankly, I do not find this item as useful or effective as it should. Drawback that i encountered are:-
1) Water will drip out from either end whenever you take it out from the tank. I need to use clothes to wrap it.
2) It is not that easy to press when you insert it deep into substrate like Holland Sand. I have yet to try this one ADA soil.
3) By injecting the head into substrate, you might cut your plant ie runner stem or root. Not that easy to do it if your tank is densely planted.
5) Cut Multi Bottom drop off from the head before injecting. Full length Multi Bottom will not drop off. Well, sometimes you want to use shorter length.
After trying few times, I got frustrated and end up using my long tweezer. I must say tweezer is much more efficient and easier to handle.
ps: All comments above are solely on my own experience and opinion.